MENTOR Virginia operates as a statewide 501(c)3 organization that serves Virginia’s mentoring field through program development, capacity building, stakeholder engagement, data collection, knowledge management, and advocacy.
MENTOR Virginia provides training to mentors, mentees, and mentoring program staff seeking to enhance their knowledge of mentoring. Research indicates that training is a critical step to enhance the quality and sustainability of mentoring relationships.
Through technical assistance, a no-cost one-on-one consultation service, MENTOR Virginia works with well-established and newly-developing programs to improve their quality and impact.
The National Quality Mentoring System (NQMS) provides a structured, systematic process for assessing the quality of a mentoring program’s practices in alignment with the Elements of Effective Practice for Mentoring, ultimately leading to quality improvements.
MENTOR Virginia partners with mentoring programs to provide a full-time volunteer who works with the organization for one year on capacity-building projects.
Programs within MENTOR Virginia’s program network on Mentoring Connector receive priority for mentor referrals and receive regular communication from MENTOR Virginia on the latest mentoring research and resources.
In addition to providing core services, MENTOR Virginia:
- Conducts and publishes the State of Mentoring in Virginia survey
- Maintains a bank of resources available for mentor, mentee, parent, program, and stakeholder referral
- Raises awareness of mentoring through participation in national mentoring campaigns
- Mobilizes advocates in statewide and national efforts to raise awareness for the youth mentoring field
- Organizes regional convenings that bring mentoring program staff together from across the state in a community of practice
- Hosts events that recognize outstanding mentors, stakeholders, and quality partners to build awareness of the mentoring field