New Mentor Training
New Mentor Training
This training is appropriate for current mentors, program staff, and anyone interested in improving their mentoring or youth development skills
New Mentor Training is typically an in-person, 2.5 hour workshop session that allows new mentors from mentoring programs throughout the state to review techniques and frameworks to help prepare them to be the most effective mentors possible. MENTOR Virginia utilizes a specialized curriculum for New Mentor Trainings that combines the latest research in mentoring and youth development best practices. Due to COVID-19, New Mentor Training is currently be offered as 1.5 hour virtual workshop.
Participants in a New Mentor Training will gain a solid understanding of:
- A mentor’s role in a young person’s life
- Relationship-building techniques and stages of relationship development
- Communicating and setting boundaries with young people
- Positive youth development and trauma-informed practices in mentoring
To receive mentor training as an individual or for your program, two options are available:
1. MENTOR Virginia hosts monthly New Mentor Trainings in our Richmond office that are open to the public for $30 per person.
Register for an upcoming public New Mentor Training:
- Tuesday, September 29th from 5:30 pm to 7:00 pm | Register here for this virtual training
- Tuesday, October 6th from 5:30 pm to 7:00 pm | Register here for this virtual training
- Tuesday, October 20th from 5:30 pm to 7:00 pm | Register here for this virtual training
To learn more about our public New Mentor trainings, see our Public Training FAQs page.
2. MENTOR Virginia can host a private, on-site New Mentor Training for mentoring programs upon request.
Content of private trainings can be customized. Private trainings are available for the following prices (travel rates may be added):
- Nonprofits, $350
- Universities and Government Agencies, $400
- Corporate Partners, $500